How To Deal With Hydrochloric Acid Exposure

0 Shares

Hydrochloric acid may be a corrosive chemical which may harm you by inhalation (breathing its vapors), by ingestion (swallowing it), or by contact with the skin or eyes. acid may be a colorless or yellow liquid which features a sharp, pungent odor and provides off fumes.

A spill should be skilled by trained personnel following containment and pack up procedures. the first goal is to guard people, then clear the world , and contain the spill. the right personal protective equipment should be used and access to the world should be denied. All employees should have regular training in spill control also as care measures to be taken just in case of injury.

Inhalation – Breathing

Prolonged exposure to the mist or vapor from concentrated solutions can cause ulcers and burns within the nose and throat. Breathing these fumes can cause coughing, choking and respiratory difficulty. Severe exposure for just a couple of minutes may end in a life threatening accumulation of fluid within the lungs (pulmonary edema) and cause respiratory collapse and death. These severe symptoms might not appear for several hours after exposure.

Swallowing – Ingestion

If swallowed, it can cause corrosive burns to mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach. It causes swallowing difficulty, intense thirst, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and, in severe cases, collapse and death. If alittle amount of acid enters the lung during ingestion or aspiration during vomiting, it can cause serious lung damage resulting in death.

Eyes

It irritates the attention s causes burns of the surface of the eye which can end in blindness. Very low concentrations of acid vapors or mist are often immediately irritating, causing redness of the eyes.

Skin

Hydrochloric Acid can cause severe irritation and burning of the skin which can end in blistering and permanent scars. Prolonged and repeated exposure to dilute solutions often causes irritation, redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin.

First Aid Measures

Inhalation – Breathing

If vapors, mists or sprays are inhaled, remove the victim to fresh air.

Get medical help IMMEDIATELY! Symptoms of respiratory distress might not appear for up to 48 hours after exposure.

Do not give emergency procedure unless you’re sure breathing has stopped.

Start CPR if there’s no pulse or breathing but use a pocket mask with a 1 way valve or proper respiratory device, like an Ambu bag.

DO NOT use mouth to mouth resuscitation if the victim swallowed or inhaled the acid.

Keep victim warm and quiet.

Swallowing- Ingestion

Call Poison Control and 911 immediately.

DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING!

Get IMMEDIATE medical help.

The victim should rinse mouth well with large amounts of water and will attempt to drink a minimum of 1 glass of water to dilute the swallowed acid.

If vomiting occurs, have the victim lean forward with head right down to avoid inhaling or choking on vomited material.

If the victim is unconscious, can’t swallow, or has seizures don’t attempt to give any liquid or induce vomiting.

Eye Exposure

Immediately flush eyes with copious amounts of water.

Hold eyelids hospitable ensure complete irrigation of the eyes and eyelids.

Do not use any eye drops

GET IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.

An eye wash station should be nearby wherever this chemical is employed .

Skin Contact

Immediately flush exposed areas with large amounts of water then , if an outsized area of the body is contaminated or the clothing has been saturated, immediately use a security shower.

Remove contaminated clothing while in shower.

Flush exposed areas thoroughly with large amounts of water.

Wash contact areas with soap and water.

Keep affected areas of body cool

SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.

Clothing should be washed before re-use

Contaminated shoes should be disposed of.

Planning and regular training for all employees on handling a chemical spill and care just in case of exposure will improve the response in an emergency.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *