How to Handle A Mercury Spill

0 Shares

Mercury may be a heavy, silver colored metal element which is during a sort of household, chemical and industrial items like thermometers, thermostats and fluorescent light bulbs, energy saving light bulbs, and vital sign monitoring devices. Mercury is additionally utilized in barometers, batteries containing mercury, and a few small electronic devices. it’s in outdoor lighting, movie projection, and even within the manufacture of some medications.

Liquid mercury evaporates at temperature and these vapors are invisible, odorless, and at high levels are very toxic. Mercury vapors can harm the nervous systems, circulatory system alimentary canal , kidneys, and normal childhood development. Since it’s toxic to humans and wildlife, it must be managed properly.

A small spill is a smaller amount than 2 tablespoons or 1 fluid ounce of mercury, which might make a pool about the dimensions of 1 / 4 .

A fever thermometer contains 0.5 -0.7.grams of mercury.
A 4 foot fluorescent light bulb contains 10-40 milligrams
A thermostat contains approximately 3 grams.
A sphygmomanometer (blood pressure measuring device) contains many grams of mercury.
The small amount of elemental mercury in thermometers and thermostats isn’t likely to cause serious health problems if it’s cleaned up immediately. The mercury during a broken fluorescent light bulb isn’t readily visible but it also should be cleaned up promptly.

Procedures to be followed in cleanup after a thermometer is broken either within the home or workplace:

Everyone should stand back from the world to avoid the spread of contamination.
Children and pregnant women should be faraway from the world immediately.
Ventilate the space or area.
Check for mercury on the soles of the shoes and clothing.
Remove any contaminated clothes which may are splashed with mercury.
Assemble pack up supplies:
Eye dropper or syringe without a needle to select up the mercury
Plastic container with lid to carry mercury
Wide adhesive tape or masking paper to assist devour mercury beads
Plastic zip-lock bags to store any mercury contaminated debris
Rubber gloves to guard hands from contact
Trash bag to contain any mercury waste
Index cards, playing cards, or rigid paper for collecting beads
Flashlight
Collect the mercury and place it in unbreakable plastic container
Use a bright light to illuminate hidden droplets and pack up , using either a card or dust pan.
With a card, gently push mercury droplets faraway from carpet, fabric, or porous surfaces and towards other droplets to mix them into larger droplets.
Use flashlight to see carefully for any missed beads of mercury.
Continue ventilation of area.
If mercury contaminated carpeting or a soft surface item, evaluate its removal.
Package materials securely and label “Mercury contaminated”.
Disposal requirements may differ counting on whether the spill occurred during a household or business.
When cleaning up alittle spill, NEVER:
Never use a standard vacuum or shop vacuum to wash up because it creates toxic vapors.
Never use a brush or paintbrush because it breaks mercury into smaller beads and scatters it further.
Never walk around in a neighborhood that’s contaminated with mercury.
Never put mercury within the trash or a burn barrel.
Never wash mercury contaminated clothing in washer because it may contaminate the machine and obtain into water system.
Never toss off the drain.
The cleanup of alittle mercury spill isn’t complex and it are often done safely if these procedures are followed.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *